Social work cover letter
View this sample cover letter for a social worker, or download the social work cover letter template in Word.
As a social worker, you know the value of the ability to multitask—so should your cover letter. To be considered for top social work jobs, your cover letter must demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for your clients. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for social work, or download the social work cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn about health care careers and look for social worker jobs on Monster.
Social work letter template
Heather Jones, Lcsw
Sometown, CA 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
August 10, 2017
Dr. Regina Hall
Director of Social Work Services
55 West St.
Sometown, CA 55555
Re: Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), Ref. #12345, Advertised on Monster
Dear Dr. Hall:
ABC Organization has earned a reputation for delivering on its mission to provide innovative clinical programming and unsurpassed patient care. I share this mission, and would welcome the chance to discuss ways I can contribute to the continued success of your social work program.
As a dedicated LCSW, my background includes 15 years as a residential counselor, homeless shelter social worker, clubhouse assistant director and crisis and family services specialist. Repeatedly recognized for excellence in leading program development, service implementation and supportive counseling, I have served populations presenting a range of neurological and psychological disorders as well as emotional, behavioral, substance abuse and developmental challenges.
In all experiences, I used a strengths-based approach in treatment planning and focused on providing optimal psychosocial care. Career highlights include:
- Working with DEF Hospital’s social services director to implement Together for Success program serving psychiatrically diagnosed adults who are experiencing a crisis. The program has helped 100+ patients, diverting them from hospitalization and reintegrating them into the community.
- Contributing vision and direction to GHI House’s clubhouse model that helped a newly opened program in Sometown County attain and maintain Clubhouse International accreditation.
- Increasing residential placements 64% by developing partnerships with area landlords to gain their support and agree to provide rental housing for homeless tenants.
After earning an MSW from Sometown University, I recently returned to pursue a Doctor of Social Work (DSW) degree with a concentration in mental health. I am an LCSW in the State of California.
My experience providing guidance, assessment and treatment for diverse patient populations combined with an ability to manage programs and build alliances would be valuable to your social work program. Please call me at (555) 555-5555 or email email@example.com to schedule a meeting. Thank you.
Heather Jones, LCSW
See all sample cover letters on Monster.
Social Worker Cover Letter
Social Workers assist vulnerable groups and protect them from harm. Groups they work with include young offenders, seniors, disabled people, homeless people, substance abusers, and school non-attenders. Essential responsibilities of a Social Worker are interviewing people and their families, easing access to community resources, providing emotional support, referring individuals to other agencies and professionals, maintaining records, and giving evidence in court.
Sample cover letters for Social Worker put emphasis on the following qualities:
- Strong communication and listening skills
- The ability to interact with all sorts of people
- Flexibility and multitasking
- Resilience to stress and stamina
- Being able to stay calm in stressful situations
- Negotiation and networking abilities
- Computer literacy
Below appears an example cover letter for Social Worker showcasing similar skills.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Social Worker Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Williams:
When I learned of your need for a Social Worker, I hastened to submit my resume for your review. My experience coordinating and supporting various social work programs gives me confidence in my ability to significantly benefit your agency.
From providing transitional advice to at-need individuals and families to developing and establishing various programs, my background has prepared me to excel in this role. My ability to connect with patients and establish trusting relationships, along with my strong communication and leadership capabilities, position me to thrive in this position.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Providing vital support to at-risk clients, assessing needs, developing treatment plans, counseling on significant transitions, coordinating with ancillary treatment providers, and completing required case documentation.
- Offering on-call 24/7 crisis intervention services, interacting with individuals from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Coordinating illness-related support groups—including those for cancer, early dementia, and diabetic patients—to encourage open communication and support.
- Utilizing superior organizational and interpersonal abilities to provide solutions and support in difficult and stressful situations.
- Possessing a Master’s degree in Psychology and Social Work from Nottingham State College; professional training in Managing and Adapting Therapy (MAP), Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT), suicide prevention, substance abuse, and HIV/AIDS education.
With my dynamic experience in social work and my dedication to providing critical assistance to individuals in need, I believe I could swiftly surpass your expectations for this role. The opportunity to discuss the position in further detail would be most welcome.
Thank you for your consideration.
Henrietta B. Griffon