Calling young inventors! The Akron Global Polymer Academy (AGPA) of The University of Akron is hosting the third annual Rubber Band Contest for students currently in grades 5 - 8. Students have the chance to show their ingenuity by creating an original invention that incorporates rubber bands. The contest features two separate categories: Arts & Leisure and Science & Engineering. The first place winner in each category wins a $1,000 savings bond!
To enter, a student must submit a sketch (either by hand or computer) of his invention with a diagram of how it works. A written description with the name of the invention, its purpose, how it works, how the idea was created, and how it will be used or make everyday life easier must be included as well.
All rubber band sizes and colors can be used in the invention – the more variation the better! Other products may be used in the invention, but rubber bands should be a primary component. Judging will be based on:
- Innovation (35%)
- Usefulness (35%)
- Research, design and execution (20%)
- Organization and clarity of essay (10%)
Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges consisting of distinguished scientists, artists and educators. Four finalists will be selected in April to move on to the next round in Akron, Ohio. The first place winner and runner-up in each division will be announced at an awards ceremony on May 14, 2011. The runner-ups will each receive a $500 savings bond.
We at InventHelp love to see kids get a chance to be innovative and think outside the box!
All entries must be received by February 16, 2011. For more contest details, go to the Rubber Band Contest website.
Back to Newsletter
Are you ready to stretch your imagination? The Akron Global Polymer Academy, an outreach division of the College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering at The University of Akron is hosting its 9th annual Rubber Band Contest for young inventors. The competition is open to full-time students who are in grades 5-8 for the 2016-2017 academic years. Each year, students in grades 5-8 are challenged to design and create a working invention/artwork that incorporates at least 1 rubber band. Two grand prize winners, two runners ups, eight finalists, top four schools in each division will get $1000, $800, $350 and $250 award amount respectively.
The Rubber Band Contest was created in 2008 by the Akron Global Polymer Academy (an outreach division of the College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering at The University of Akron) as a way of drawing students into the world of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Mathematics) education through a hands-on learning experience that emphasizes creativity, discovery, and innovation.
- This competition is open to full-time students who are in grades 5-8 for the 2016-2017 school years.
- These students must attend an accredited public or private school, charter school, or home school and must reside within the United States or U.S. Territories.
- Employees and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of the Akron Global Polymer Academy and any and all Contest Sponsor(s) are not eligible.
- Winners and Runners-up from the 2015-2016 Rubber Band Competition are not eligible for entry in the 2016-2017 Rubber Band Competition.
How to Apply:
For applying the contest, the candidates must download and complete the entry form through the given link: http://rubberbandcontest.org/files/2016/09/RubberBandContest-Entry-9.pdf
Submit a written description of the invention/artwork. This description should be neatly written in black or blue ink or typed. In your essay, you should give the name of your invention/artwork and include the following four paragraphs:
- Paragraph 1: What is your invention/artwork and what is its main purpose?
- Paragraph 2: How does your invention work? Or describe your artwork (style, meaning, etc.)
- Paragraph 3: How does your invention/artwork use rubber bands?
- Paragraph 4: Explain how you think people can benefit from your invention/artwork.
- Official Entry Form (required): Submit a neatly completed Official Entry Form
- Sketch of Invention (required only for Science & Engineering Division): Submit a drawing of your invention with a diagram of how it works. Hand drew or computer renderings are acceptable.
- Photograph (required): Submit at least 1 clear print quality photograph of your invention/artwork that shows(s) it in full view.
- Select a Division to compete in (required): Indicate on your entry form whether your invention/artwork is to be judged in the Arts & Leisure Division OR the Science & Engineering Division.
- Short 1-3 minute Video (optional): It is not required, but you may also send a short video file copied onto a CD or DVD that shows us your entry and how it works. This can be an additional way to communicate your idea to the judges.
You can mail the complete application packet to:
Akron Global Polymer Academy
Polymer Engineering Academic Center
Akron, Ohio 44325-0301
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- 2 Grand Prizes – Each division winner will receive the following:
- An engraved first-place contest trophy.
- 2 Runner-Up Prizes – Each division runner-up will receive the following:
- An engraved runner-up contest trophy.
- 8 Finalist Prizes – Each division finalist who was not selected as a winner or runner-up will receive the following:
- The top four schools with the most student entries will each receive a $250 donation
The application must be submitted by March 3, 2017.
Link for More Information: