Such paper begins with the explanation of a meaning of the selected word. Some words or other may have one particular meaning understood by everyone, but at the same time, there exist more abstract terms, which can be comprehended depending on the worldview of every single person. The above-mentioned type of essay needs to combine both academic and personal definitions of the chosen vocable. To reach such a harmonious combination, it is rather important to make the right choice of the term. The best definition essays are those that thoroughly elaborate on all possible word's meanings. Writing a definition essay is not so easy as might appear at first sight. However, keeping in mind several simple policy strokes will surely help you compose one of your most successful essays.
If you want to know how to write a good definition essay, you need to know that the correct choice of the appropriate vocable to define is already a half the battle, so that is what you need to start with. Here emerges the question as to how it could be done in the most efficient way. And the answer is not that simple.
The very first step is to choose the word with the abstract nature and complex meaning. This method will give you a lot of information to analyze. As usual, words-nouns, which denote a thing, a place or a person, may turn out to be very simple as for the college definition essay. Not to allow it, choose nouns that are connected to some idea – such option will work better. For instance, the word "hero" occurs to be understood by nearly all people in the same way. Taking this fact into consideration, the paper writing concerning this word may become tedious and uninteresting. In this case, it will be worth to pick something with more abstract meaning such as "heroism." "Heroism" is the concept involving the vast amount of elements, which, in their turn, have the chance to be properly explored in the paper.
Argumentativeness is one more feature peculiar for the right word, as the word itself has to mean something different to quite various persons. If your essay reflects the same point of view as it has the majority of people, then its depth will be lost, and its success will be found doubtful.
Choose the word that you can understand clearly. Of course, if you do not know its meaning, you can find it in the dictionary. The point here is that you should be armed with your own experience and knowledge while writing definition essay. For example, if you are not acquainted with the notions of some terms, your limited knowledge regarding it will not be to your credit.
Sometimes, it is even useful to read about the notion of the chosen term in the dictionary. This action will give you the possibility to compare your opinions concerning the concept with the general and official notion, provided in the dictionary. Such comparison's advantages lie in the fact that, although you have a lot of information regarding the concept, the dictionary notion may serve you in the capacity of the excellent starting point while coming up with ideas. The word's etymology research is also able to give you the perception of the word's origin and its path to the modern meaning.
Here are a few other tips for writing good definition essays:
- You need to make sure that the word has many meanings and it is rather disputable. It should mean different things to different people.
- Compare the complex and unfamiliar word with the familiar one. This one chosen term should be clear to the audience.
- You are welcome to use examples, which will surely help to describe the meaning of the word. If you’ve chosen an abstract concept, you will definitely need a good illustration.
Half of the work is done, and you have chosen your word. Now, it is time to organize the structure of your paper in a way to persuade a reader in its originality. Most of all, it is necessary to pay attention to the following details:
- The presentation of the official meaning. Your task here is to present your own comprehension of the term together with its dictionary meaning. Starting your paper with such introduction, you form the context and the basic information regarding the chosen term.
- The meaning of the term within the thesis statement. It is essential to remember that the thesis statement needs to be written in your own words; at the same time, it should stay basic and brief in order for you to expand it in the main body of the paper.
- It is advantageous to make a summary of the essay's main points. Your summary does not need to be deliberate. As a rule, to create the list of such points, it is enough to pick the topic sentences from every single body paragraph.
- As an option, you have the right to note in which way the notion has left its mark on your feelings. When you can admit that your chosen term is the echo of your past experience or life perturbations, you are welcome to do it.
- If you cannot find the proper term or just can’t structure the paper, and “Help me write my essay” is the only thing you think about, it is time to ask for professional assistance. Experts from our team will not only choose an interesting term to write about but also prepare a great essay from scratch. Although, if you decided to write the paper on your own, despite all the difficulties, the least we can do to help is provide you with some nice examples of definition essays. Thus, do not hesitate to ask the support team to send you some.
At first thought, it may seem that it is a very simple task to define one term. In a certain sense, such statement may be true, but only in the case when you need to write several lines and no more. The paper itself is something more than a few lines. It includes the whole complex of requirements that you have to take into account if you want to witness the success of your project.
There is no shame when you understand the necessity of help. Whether you need a descriptive essay help or definition essay help, Pro-Papers is ready to provide you with the best assistance possible. One way or another, you do not need to be afraid of ordering a custom work. Specialists from Pro-Papers always guarantee the high quality and plagiarism-free papers. The purchase from Pro-Papers is able to make your life a bit happier because you do not need to worry about your assignment anymore. If you have any questions concerning how the whole process goes, we are here for you online 24/7.
|Writing from scratch|
It's probably apparent that neglecting to explain what is intended by politicalparty aspects or success is unacceptable, because those terms obviously can convey so many different meanings. But the need to specify what is intended by academic ability, high school students, and family structure may not be so obvious, since we often find individuals using those terms without any clarifying explanation, apparently on the assumption that the words mean the same to everybody.
First consider academic. Are mathematics, history, English literature, Spanish language, home economics, auto repair, guitar instruction, and floral arranging all equally academic"If not, then what distinction should be drawn among them"And what about ability"On what evidence should judgments of ability be based–intelligence test scores, grade point averages, teachers' judgments, or people's performance in such games as Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, and Monopoly?
How about high school students"If we are judging their academic ability, is it important to know who they are in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnic background, home language, parents' education, and whether they are in private schools or in public schools?
Now consider family. Is family supposed to mean only a pair of parents and their biological offspring"Or does it mean people living together, whether or not they are biologically related"Or does it encompass all of a person's legal relatives, no matter where they reside?
What is family structure"Is it the set of roles that different family members play"Is it the manner in which authority and power are distributed among family members"Or is it the pattern of communication among members?
In summary, we conclude that leaving key terms undefined is not acceptable in theses and dissertations.